Anger Management Tips
There are three kinds of situation in which we need to learn to be patient:
- When we are experiencing suffering, hardship, or disappointment
- When we are practising Dharma
- When we are harmed or criticized by others
Correspondingly, there are three types of patience:
- The patience of voluntarily accepting suffering,
- The patience of definitely thinking about Dharma
- The patience of not retaliating
These three types of patience do not come easily, and may seem somewhat strange when we first read about them. However, once we understand them clearly and put them into practice sincerely and skilfully, they will liberate our mind from one of its most obsessive delusions and bring great peace and joy. It is therefore worthwhile to persevere in these practices even if initially they may seem unusual or even unnatural.
An in-depth explanation of these 3 types of patience can be found in Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s How to Solve Our Human Problems.